SI2007 Cluster and Grid Computing
Time: 9 am to 12 pm
Location: PFBH 161
- Tuesday, July 31, Basic Cluster and Grid Computing Environment
- Instructors: Wilfred Li, Wes Goodman, Zhaohui Ding
- How to use cluster environment efficiently? How can I use grid computing today? How to run Embarassingly Parallel jobs? Which technology is suitable for my problem? Basic tutorials on Condor, MPI environment and compilation of applications. Basic tutorials on use local batch schedulers in a cluster, and metaschedulers on the grid. Case studies using MEME, AutoDock, the Globus toolkit, as well as GAMA Certificate Management system through My WorkSphere. This session requires that all users have registered through My WorkSphere for proper account access.
- Cluster Computing
- Grid Computing
- globusrun, ssh and csf4
- Wednesday, Aug 1, Rocks Cluster Environment and Application Deployment
- Instructors: Robert Konecny, Anoop Rajendra
- This session covers the academic computing environment based on Rocks, and covers the general architecture, network requirements, storage and performance tuning. It is targeted for both administrators and users of Rocks clusters, with an emphasis on performance benchmarking of applications, and trouble shooting the bottle necks. In addition, the development of Rock'n Rolls, a software distribution mechanism for Rocks, is illustrated using APBS and the Bio Rolls. A walking tour of the Calit2 machine room is included.
- Bio Roll Presentation
- APBS Roll Presentation
- Thursday, Aug 2, 2007, Workflow Management and MetaScheduling
- Instructors: Karan Bhatia, Sriram Krishnan, Zhaohui Ding
- We will demonstrate transparent access to Grid and Cluster resources through desktop clients (e.g. Gemstone - presented by Karan Bhatia) and Workflow tools (e.g. Kepler workflow environment - presented by Sriram Krishnan). We will also present access to distributed resources with the help of a Metascheduler (e.g. CSF4 - presented by Zhaohui Ding).
- Accessing Grid Resources via Portals and Workflow Tools
- CSF4 Meta-Scheduler
- Friday, Aug 3, Accessing National and International TeraScale Resources
- Instructors: Nancy Wilkins-Diehr, Peter Arzberger, Zhaohui Ding
- I don't have enough computing resources. What else is available? How do I take advantage of national and international TeraScale resources?
- We will hear from Nancy Wilkins-Diehr about the TeraGrid, and from Peter Arzberger about the PRAGMA grid. The speakers will introduce the Grid infrastructures, and present how it can be useful to you as a scientific end-user. Zhaohui will also provide a tutorial on using CSF4 and Condor to access PRAGMA resources.
- TeraGrid Science Gateways
- PRAGMA Grid Overview
- Using CSF4 and OSG to Access PRAGMA and NBCR Resources
- Gfarm user guide