SI2009 From Cluster to Cloud Computing
The track is geared towards cyberinfrastructure developers, including scientific software developers. However, users interested in accessing web service portals or workflow environments would also find this track useful.
Users will learn how to use various types of computing environments through direct logins or through Web services coupled to scalable back-end infrastructures. The computing infrastructure covered include Rocks cluster environment, TeraGrid, and the Amazon EC2 based cloud computing environment. The Web services interface and portal environment to the computing infrastructure will be illustrated using the Opal toolkit, which exposes scientific applications as Web services to visualization tools and workflow environments. Advanced topics such as Metascheduling, Grid monitoring and workflow tools will also be introduced.
Each session includes lectures and some hands on exercises.
Projected Outcome By the end of the sessions, the developers should be able to understand the types of computing environments available, and how to deploy scientific applications with the scalability required by end users. Participants should be have sufficient knowledge to deploy physical or virtual clusters. They will also be able to deploy applications as Opal based Web services, and provide basic Web interfaces or portal environments for accessing these application level services in a transparent fashion.
Session Chairs: Sriram Krishnan, Ph.D., Luca Clementi
Instructors: Anoop Rajendra, Phil Papadopoulos, Ph.D., Nancy Wilkins-Diehr, Ph.D., Shava Smallen, Ilkay Altintas, Amitava Majumdar, Ph.D., Luca Clementi, Sriram Krishnan, Ph.D., Yuan Luo
Time M-F, 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm, Aug 3-7, 2009
Location: EBU2, Room 239
Prerequisites Familiarity with Unix environment is required.
- Monday, Clusters and HPC systems
- Instructors: Anoop Rajendra, Luca Clementi
- Introduction to Cluster Computing and Cluster Management using Rocks (AR)
- Hands-on Exercises using Rocks Files] (LC)
- Tuesday, Grid Computing
- Wednesday, Virtualization and Cloud Computing
- Instructors: Sriram Krishnan, Ph.D., Luca Clementi, Philip Papadopoulous, Ph.D.
- Introduction to Virtualization and Cloud Computing (SK)
- Virtualization on Rocks Clusters (PP)
- Amazon Web Services: An Example of a Public Cloud (LC)
- Thursday, Software as a Service and the Opal Toolkit
- Instructors: Sriram Krishnan, Ph.D., Luca Clementi)
- Intro to Web Services (SK)
- The Opal Toolkit: Wrapping Scientific Applications as Web Services (LC)
- Hands-on Exercises using Opal (LC)
- Friday, Advanced topics